Investing

Jack Bogle on Index Funds, Vanguard, and Investing Advice

jack-bogle-on-index-funds-vanguard-and-investing-advice

Jack Bogle transformed the investment management industry. Over a career lasting nearly half a century, Bogle was a crusader for individual investors, working to bring the interests of asset managers in line with those of their investment clients.

In 1975, Bogle founded the Vanguard Group, structuring the business as a mutual company, meaning that Vanguard is owned by the funds it manages and, as a result, the funds’ investors. A year later, Bogle and Vanguard introduced the first ever index mutual fund available to the general public, aiming to track the performance of the broader market while charging the lowest fees possible. At first, many in the investment industry snickered at Vanguard’s new index funds, but over time Bogle’s idea took hold. While maintaining some of the lowest fees in the business, Vanguard has grown its assets under management from $1.8 billion at its founding to $5.3 trillion as of September 30, 2018, making Vanguard the second largest asset manager in the world.

Despite Vanguard’s incredible success, Bogle didn’t become fantastically rich. Instead, Jack passed on as much savings as possible to Vanguard investors, bringing fees for his funds to razor-thin levels (and dragging the rest of the fund market with him). As a result, Bogle helped all investors get better returns on their retirement savings, drastically reducing underperformance caused by high management fees. As Bogle said in 2012, “My ideas are very simple. In investing, you get what you don’t pay for.”

All investors are indebted to Jack Bogle for his efforts over 40+ years to make the investment industry better serve the interests of individuals. As we remember Bogle’s life and his contributions, we hope you’ll enjoy this conversation between Bogle and Motley Fool Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner recorded in 2016.

————————————————————————
Subscribe to The Motley Fool’s YouTube Channel:
Or, follow our Google+ page:

Inside The Motley Fool: Check out our Culture Blog!
Join our Facebook community:
Follow The Motley Fool on Twitter:

1. Top Finance 頂尖理財

This man is my god

2. OG Reggie B

SPACE AGE TRADER'S ALERT 📢 WEBULL, YOUTUBE FOLLOWERS AND FELLOW AMERICANS 😀

I have some good news to share with you. Today I followed The Legendary Warren Buffett advice, when it comes to stocks. He has often quoted buy when everyone in the Stockmarket is fearful and Sell when everyone is greedy 🙄

QQQ, SPY, MSFT & TTD
    Are now included in my list, which also include AMC ,GME, CLOV and of course my usual AAPL, TSLA, COIN & SPCE

This is why the Stockmarket is down over 900 points and CNBC or anyone else isn't calling it a crash.
    Simply put, they are hard at work trying to defeat, the undefeatable and undisputable, yep you gest it 👍

OG Reggie B .
    SPACE AGE TRADER'S, TEAM LEADER …

3. OG Reggie B

CNBC
    script today,
    Markets Hit By Covid ,
    But that's a False Narrative .

The Truth is, it's been Hit By a Smooth Operator.

OG Reggie B.

4. OG Reggie B

SPACE AGE TRADER'S ALERT 📢 WEBULL, YOUTUBE FOLLOWERS AND FELLOW AMERICANS 😀

AAPL, TSLA, COIN, MU, &SPCE
    Are still very much under my influence and control as you all can plainly see from their performance.

Now my Brother's and Sisters of all Nationalities, background and color.
    I'd like to address some of your concerns expressed to me in the comment sections.

To begin with, many of you fear 😨 red days like today in the Stockmarket because of your miseducation about the stockmarket.

So, first let me try and put you in the right frame of mind about how the Stockmarket really works.
    As we all know by now, it's manipulated only a daily basis and that's just a fact.

With that said, understand this, it wouldn't work for them, without you guys as victims. So, stop being victimized and open your mind to new concepts about how the stockmarket really works.

It all starts and stop with a False Narrative being promoted by the many online Trading Educators. They tell what to do and how to do it. After that, manipulating you and the Stockmarket is the easy part for them.

If you really want to win in the Stockmarket, stop being lead to slaughter and re-educate yourself. Start by understanding what I'm expressing to you now.

All successful traders are always on both sides of their trade hedging, in some form or another. So the next time you trade, you might want to consider my setup.

I trade with options and invest with stocks.
    My option setup beings with a Delta 0.50 positive and a Delta -0.50 Negative. This puts me on both sides of my trade equally from the very start.
    Because the Deltas moves when the stock moves, one will eventually appreciate in value and the other will depreciate in value, thereby living you with one as a winner every time.
    Just remember, that real Day Traders are trading options, with one to three month expiration time. Not Day to Day, like the miseducators have taught most of you.

Let today, be the beginning of you winning . A Red day, will pay like a Green Day when on both sides of the trade.
    Try it, before you knock it.

Remember where you heard it first,
    OG Reggie B

5. Hemi Dave
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Jack Bogle is an amazing man.

6. Paul Engman

Nice suggestions…thanks partner!!

7. Just a man in Michigan
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

The thing I think most investors fail to take into account is risk/probability. Yes, you COULD make a ton more money on individual stocks, options, day trading, etc but the probability that you outperform the S&P every year for 40 years of an investing career is infinitesimally small. Greed will be your undoing! S&P has been my best investment EASILY.

8. niklas johansson
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

This guy at this age is a goddam beast, sharp as a knife when most people his age are dull

9. dbroers
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Wish I’d known about this 25 years ago.

10. Torrent79
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

24:30. Did he say what i think he said?

11. Caitlin Horne
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

This was quite interesting to watch! I’ve been able to understand the cryptocurrency market and I’m currently buying into the dips. If it hadn’t been with the help of my broker Ms.Sylvia Geary whom I got in touch with the help of a friend. I reached out to her on her telegram handle<< investwithsylvia>> and I must say it’s been very smooth working with her so far.

12. Andrew James
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

When<people get the signal and the confirmation of the bear market "whenever it is" as they say , their portfolio will already be 70% at the best minus! Investors and traders should try to be ahead of the market or at least react fast. Because all the indicators "rsi-macd-Ema-…" Are lagging indicators! So why would someone hold all the way from 65k to 32k , when he could double his position by selling and buying back. And wait for confirmations in any direction … Slogans like HODL and Diamond hands are just for inexperienced Investors that think there is no other direction other than the moon. I'll advise current investors and newbies to take advantage of the Lyra Holt Dean program, an establishment that handles people who lack understanding on how to maneuver the crypto space through the rise and dip, to help them recover loss from the crash and also accumulate more positive returns, with her program I went from having 2btc to 9btc in just 4 weeks. Lyra can be reached on contact(@lyraholtdean) CM to solve crypto-related issues.

13. tcmilleriii

The man the myth. RIP Mr. Bogle

14. William Williams
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Being a Republican how do you feel at a rally standing next to White supremacists, neo-nazis and the KKK not to mention Proud boys etc? Is it not embarrassing?.

15. Seekingbuddah

A very nice man.

16. Gregory Collins
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I have a trust that refinanced mortgages for lower rates and monthly payments. We want to invest the difference automatically every month.

I am thinking of selecting an investment pool, and having money automaticity with drawn from checking and automatically invested in those.

Any other ideas?

17. Harlow Pinson
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Vanguard should review this and take note (2021).

18. Yongki Amirson

Ship Google
    Friends
    G Night
    GOD Bless
    YsA Mdn

19. Money Man
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Thank you for the great video! 2 great books that I have read was The Total money make over by Dave Ramsey when you are in debt. When you are debt free and building wealth the book Die with zero by bill perkins was a game changer.

20. TikNepal

27:04

21. Brandon Victor
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I can't express how happy I am when I receive my profit thanks to Mr. Carlos, my expert trader. I can honestly claim that he has made a significant contribution to my life. I just wanted to thank Mr. Carlos Beckham for inspiring me to believe in him. I'm having the most success trading stocks, cryptocurrency, and forex. I understand that most of you are afraid to invest because you don't want to lose your money, but I'm giving you a 99 percent chance to thank me. I recommend that anyone who is losing a lot of money in trading contact him for assistance. I was able to overcome my financial difficulties with his assistance. In the last seven months, I've made almost ($430,000) in profits.

22. RADIUM CLOCK

"Stay the course"
    -Jack Bogle

23. Patrick McCarthy
    July 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I have been with VG for 30 years. I get NO HELP from them now. Jack would be sad